This week I have given a whole bunch of book suggestions on Twitter. This got me thinking about what books I have read this year and I decided to keep track. I have not keep a list of what I have read before and I think it might be fun, so here it goes. This may end up being great or terrible, I don’t know. I should note that I am a self-professed book addict. My personal library has more than 1,700 books in it. My classroom library clocks in at 807 books right now (most are mine). Beware, I have a soft spot for young adult fiction. I read it A LOT. Also it helps me make recommendations to my 6th graders.
As a side note, I believe strongly that in order to be a well-rounded person you have to read stories written about and by people who don’t look like you as well as those who do. I am a straight, white male it is easy to find books written by people who look like me with characters who also look like me. I do my best to select books for myself (and my students) that feature women and characters of color and that are written by women and authors of color (this of course includes women authors of color). I do this to give myself a wider perspective and to give my students the opportunity to have characters that look like them in their reading. I am a big supporter of the We Need Diverse Books (@diversebooks) campaign and really like their recommendations and resources. Seriously though, check out this list of books.
Tag after author’s name:
AOC – Author of Color
Tag after book title:
FP – Female Protagonist
POC – Protagonist of Color
Current Count: 42 books completed
List last updated: 10/19/2017
- Launch by John Spencer and A.J. Juliani
- School is starting and I can’t focus on this so I am abandoning it until I get the year under me.
- The Hyperdocs Handbook by Lisa Highfill, Kelly Hilton, and Sarah Landis
- Kids Deserve It by Adam Welcome and Todd Nesloney
- The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller
- Assessment That Matters by Kim Meldrum, M.Ed.
- The Genius Hour Guidebook by Denise Krebs and Gallit Zvi
- The Classroom Chef by John Stevens and Matt Vaudrey
Middle Grades and Young Adult
- The Hate You Give (FP, POC) by Angie Thomas (AOC)
- This is one of the best books I have read in such a long time. It is an absolute must read.
- The Girl Who Drank The Moon (FP) by Kelly Barnhill
- This is such a great book! As you read you think you know what is going to happen but I was consistently surprised by where the story went.
- The Wild Robot by Peter Brown
- Ghost by Jason Reynolds (AOC)
- I had heard great things about Jason’s writing. This book just sucked me in and I couldn’t stop reading it.
- Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- Written in free verse poetry. 1 excellent story, 200 poems.
- Save Me A Seat by Sarah Weeks and Gita Varadarajan
- I picked this up and couldn’t put it down until I finished. Fairly short and thouroughly engaging. The whole story takes place over one week.
The Rest (alphabetically by author)
- The Boggart by Susan Cooper
- The Search for WondLa (FP) by Tony DiTerlizzi
- Hero for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi
- Battle for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi
- Silver in the Blood (FP) by Jessica Day George
- Dragon Slippers (FP) by Jessica Day George
- Dragon Flight (FP) by Jessica Day George
- Dragon Spear (FP) by Jessica Day George
- Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
- Wednesdays in the Tower by Jessica Day George
- Thursdays with the Crown by Jessica Day George
- Ungifted by Gordon Korman
- Cinder (FP) by Marissa Meyer
- Scarlet (FP) by Marissa Meyer
- Cress (FP) by Marissa Meyer
- MiNRS by Kevin Sylvester
Rereads (read previously and reread this year)
Picture Books (alphabetically by author)
- Iggy Peck Architect by Andrea Beaty
- Rosie Revere Engineer (FP) by Andrea Beaty
- Ada Twist Scientist (POC, FP) by Andrea Beaty
- Zero by Kathryn Otoshi (AOC)
- Self worth
- One by Kathryn Otoshi (AOC)
- Two by Kathryn Otoshi (AOC)
- The Girl Who NEVER Made Mistakes by Mark Pett and Gary Rubinstein
- Miss Hazeltine’s Home for Shy and Fearful Cats by Alicia Potter, Illustrated by Birgitta Sif
- School’s First Day of School by Adam Rex
- Hold On To Your Horses by Sandra Tayler
- Strength of Wild Horses by Sandra Tayler